Friday, May 13, 2011

Can't Resist This

This is a post of mine from the Sketchbook Challenge blog about this month's theme.
I can't resist drawing while I am traveling in the car...

No!

Not while I'm driving!
While I'm riding...
My sweet husband (almost) always drives, leaving me lots of time to draw or paint or whatever it is I'm doing at the time (maybe sleeping).
This past weekend, it was drawing a little bit.
When I am in the research phase of a new class or a new piece of work, I always spend time getting to know the individual elements of what is going to go into the new piece of artwork.
For example, if I were going to do a piece using architectural elements and birds, I would look at/research/draw/paint/think about/dream about architectural elements and birds.
Here is an example of what I drew this weekend.




I've used a source book to get ideas from, then added my own "Callie marks" (Callie is my nickname) (thanks to Melanie Testa for the previous phrase).
I'll be teaching some of these very techniques in August at the "Textile Evolution" retreat in Colorado Springs.
The retreat runs August 17 - 21, 2011 with the one day "Whimsical Mark Making" class on Saturday, August 20.
I'd love for you to join us! It's going to be a lot of fun and you are sure to learn a lot.
I am also offering a two day mixed media book making class called "Bound By Heart, Made By Hand".
This is going to be a fabulous class!

I'll leave you with a partially complete drawing that I did.
You can see how much difference the  little Callie Marks make with the entire drawing.
Sometimes all your drawings need is a few little finishing touches to make them spark!

1 comment:

Robin said...

Very nice drawings and a great tip! Wow, you can draw while in a car, and do it so well? That is really incredible.