Monday, July 1, 2013

Found UFO's

No, not the flying kind but the kind that you put down one day never to pick up again.
The kind that gets buried under a pile of awesome stuff that you can't pass up nor part with.

I was going through a bunch of my supplies, trying to get rid of a few things and found a handful of rusted fabrics that had a few beginning stitches on them.




I think that I was going to make a sampler book, of sorts.
I do remember taking it to baseball games, sitting in the stands, stitching away - quite happy to be there with my handwork. But I don't remember exactly what I was working towards.



Do you ever do that? Just work on small pieces, figuring that you will do something with it later on?
I do that when I can't quite figure out what my mind is leading me towards but my hands insist on doing something.
I always save the scraps from fabrics and such that I rust and dye. Some of them are just too beautiful to discard.
The photo above is an example of one of the things that I do with them.
I layer then onto a base fabric (usually black) and then build a story on top of this.

I rust and stitch such things as discarded pantyhose.



Old cotton lace. Canvas. Sheer curtain panels. Your grandmothers silk slip (well, my grandmothers).
Drawer liner.


You just never know what's going to work (with dyeing or staining) until you try it.

I'm gathering all the bits and pieces of beautiful things that I find.
And then see what I can do to make use of them.

Remember that I sale packs of rusted media in my Etsy shop.
Check them out here.


3 comments:

Joanne Huffman said...

I love your rusted fabrics. You inspired me to rust my own.

Terriea Kwong said...

Good idea to get all the bits to form an art piece. Your rusted fabrics are so pretty yellow. Thought it only gives dark. I have a go now. You're inspiring.

Suzanne McClendon said...

I like the way you've treated the fabrics. These are colors that work well together.

When I am working with yarn, I usually have little bits left over after the project is completed. Many of these "little bits" get made into a granny square, sometimes regular sized, other times little bitty. One of these days maybe I'll actually get them all stitched together. :)

Have a great day!