Friday, August 17, 2012

Summer Samples

I've been working on a Fall class sample for a class that I am going to teach in Charleston SC at "Fashion Fabrics".
It's a traditional reverse applique technique with a modern twist.
I have always been so inspired by Natalie Chanin's books and love the projects in them.
But I love making my own stuff up!
So I spend a lot of time creating my own stencil designs (that I turn in to thermofax screens when I'm happy with them).
That means a lot of "stitch-outs".
Many, many samples...
I decided to make them all the same size so that I can create a throw out of them later.
Or a book of samples.
But the throw sounds like more fun, doesn't it?

Here's the latest stitch out.
It took me a few tries to get the drawing just right for its purpose as a stencil.
You never realize how far apart the lines should be for a design to work as a stencil until you try the stitching technique on it.

Did I mention that I have lots of (failed) samples?


I like this one and will probably use it in the future.

Last week I went to a place called "KRB Fabrics" in Lyman SC (no website).
It's a huge warehouse type fabric/notions store (home dec, etc).
I was looking for mid - heavy weight cotton jersey fabric (since it is so difficult to find).
Jackpot!
The place had TONS of it...not to mentions tons of everything else.
I found a wonderful roll of mid-weight canvas that I love.
All at very, very good prices.

If you're close to me (or far away) and want to go, shoot me an email and we'll get together one day.
It's a great place to find treasures...did I mention the antique/junk store next door?


2 comments:

Robbie said...

Now that is thinking ahead to make your samples the same size! Geezzz great idea! I really like this stencil/applique piece!!! Nice design.

Joanne Huffman said...

Very smart to have your samples the same size. I wish I lived close enough to go shopping with you.