Thursday, April 28, 2011

Scribble Sketching

One of the things that I want to do is practice sketching people in public places.
I'm not used to the fast paced work this requires so I thought I would try my hand at it.
This weekend I was at a college baseball series so I sat at the back of the stadium- sketching people around me.
You'll be able to tell when you see my work that I need more practice at it...
You could join me (so I won't feel so bad about how my work looks!) and let's learn together!
I really think it is a matter of practice - just like any form of making art is.

I'll share my attempts with you here.
The first one was done at The Battery in Charleston SC. A lazy, sunny, beautiful day in Charleston.



This next page was done at the College of Charleston baseball game. Notice all of the baseball hats!


I did do a little bit of sketching that didn't involve people.
Here is a Palmetto tree at the ballpark.



If you've never been to Charleston this time of the year , you're really missing a wonderful season there.
The Confederate Jasmine (Star Jasmine) is blooming all over the city and it smells wonderful!
Here is a small sketch of one on a chain link fence. I pinched a small piece to take home and sketched it on the ride.
I love the way that I could really study the shape of the seed heads, the  way that the  flower swirls when it opens..
We really need to take the time to look at things closely...really look at them.



So, I'm here going out on a limb while I sketch people moving around.
I found it very difficult to do - that sketching when your subject keeps moving!

2 comments:

Dolores Quilts said...

Thanks for sharing, I like your sketch style. Reminds me i heed to start sketching again.

Robbie said...

I enjoy seeing any sketching you do! I couldn't sketch ANYTHING if it sat for hours and didn't move!!