Friday, May 18, 2012

Spine Design

I've been making (more) books for "Art Camp For Women" and playing with spine design.

While I adore the open spine where you can see the stitching, I also love the opportunity to add more interest to the outside of the book.
I'm working on a couple (or four) ways of adding the spine decoration after the covers have been stitched on.
Here's a peek at one.


I am also playing around with scraps from a leather jacket that a friend gave me (thank you Mary!).
The leather is so soft and supple, it drapes beautifully and gently hugs the curves of the spine. I'd love to make a pair of shoes with it!
You can see in the photo how it shows the contour of the thread that I used when stitching in the signatures-


Beautiful, just beautiful.

There are still a few spots left in the book making class in Colorado. If you can't go for the entire week, treat yourself to the three day class! It's a brand new class, created just for the Art Camp ladies.




2 comments:

Lori Wostl said...

Beautiful Carol - Can hardly wait for this class! Lori W

The Inside Stori said...

I KNEW you were the perfect person to utilize that leather jacket!!