Thursday, December 6, 2012

Adventures in Colorado

After staying up in the Rocky Mountains for several days, I went home with Liz (Kettle) for a few days.
We spent some time in her studio (looking for stuff, finding it, then losing it again) working (read playing).
I worked on a small machine felted piece that I had started at the Art Summit, adding hand stitching and a few beads. (I am still working on that today) (and still enjoying it).

I taught a book making class at Deb Prewitt's shop (The Blue Twig Studio) in Colorado Springs.
The class was full and everyone was excited about making their own handmade book.
It was a two day affair - we made the collages for the cover and painted some on the pages the first day.
The second day, we stitched the signatures in and (if there was any time left) worked inside the book with Thermofax screens, acrylic paint, stencils and such.
We did have a couple of over-achievers (ahem Kathy and Linda) that made TWO books while they were in the class! Those ladies were smokin'!
I was so busy working my way around the room teaching that I did not take photos but I will direct you to this post on Deb's blog. She has a photo of all the books over there on her blog (thank you Deb!).

I love teaching in Colorado!
Everyone is so friendly, laid-back and eager to learn new things.
Thank you guys!



Liz, her husband Bruce and I went to the "Paint Mines Interpretive Park" about an hour or so from their house.
The Paint Mines are in Calhan Colorado.
We did a good bit of hiking and got to see some of the most beautiful natural sights that I have ever seen.
This is a quote from the brochure that we picked up at the site
"The Paint Mines are named for their colorful clays that were collected by American Indians to make paint. Brightly colored bands, caused by oxidized iron compounds, are found in varying amounts throughout the different layers of clay. When the outcrops erode, a hard capstone allows columns of clay to be preserved beneath them, creating fantastic spires called hoodoos. Selenite (gypsum) contributes to the color and white quartzitic crystals dazzle the eye."
I used a small point and shoot camera so the photos do not do the site justice - actually I think that these are sights that one must see in person to fully appreciate.
No camera can capture the beauty or the majesty of this sight.












You can see how small our shadows are.
These outcrops are huge!












I would suggest, that if you do go there, you look in the little brown metal post (right as you begin to walk on the path from the parking lot) for a map.
It will save you walking a mile or so if you just want to see the Paint Mines.
just sayin'...

1 comment:

Joanne Huffman said...

Beautiful photos of the Colorado mountains.