Sunday, December 22, 2013

Fiber 5K to Fight Cancer

Cancer is a devastating disease that touches all of our lives – there is probably no one out there who hasn't been affected by it in one way or another, either suffering it in one’s own body or having it touch the life of a loved one. My own family has been touched several times by the damned thing.
My oldest sister died from renal cell carcinoma.
My grandmother had breast cancer.
My husband's mother died from breast cancer as well as his grandmother from the same disease.
I have several friends that have waged a ferocious war with cancer. And not all of them won.
Fiber5Kroute400As a fiber artist one of the causes I feel most called to support is Fiberart for a Cause, an initiative founded by fiber artist Virginia Spiegel. So today I would like to invite you all to mark your calendars for January 15, 2014 and join me as I run the Fiber 5K to Fight Cancer. OK, I won’t actually be jogging around a race course. But I will be joining the fun as Fiberart For A Cause’s virtual race kicks off with a goal of donating $5000 directly to the American Cancer Society.
Generous Prize Sponsors for drawings means there will be many winners at the 1K ($1000) mark, 2K ($2000) mark, etc., plus a Grand Prize drawing when we cross the Finish Line.
According to Race Director, Virginia Spiegel, “Fiberart For A Cause likes to have fun while raising money to fight cancer, so, of course, there are going to be more “race” details revealed as January 15 draws closer. 100% of donations are given directly to the American Cancer Society through Fiberart For A Cause. Fiberart For A Cause has already donated more than $230,000 to the American Cancer Society thanks to the generosity of fiber artists and patrons.”
More information right here.

2 comments:

Virginia A. Spiegel said...

Carol, Thank you for your support of the Fiber 5K!

Lori Wostl said...

Carol do we pledge to you or what? I am not a fiber artist but would love to pledge to you and I didn't see how to do it. Lori W at Art Camp for Women dot com