Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Getting To Work

It's no secret that I love rusting fabric, fibers, threads, paper, clothing and most anything that I can get my hands on.
I love the color, the texture and the serendipitous possibility of it all.

I've been selling rusted fabrics and fibers in my Etsy shop for several years now.
I have a stack of beautiful rusted papers that I need to add to the shop...just gotta do it.

I've had an idea for a book for a couple or three years now that involves a series of rusted elements that appear to flow through the pages.

(my friends will roll their eyes because they have heard this over and over)

I have all of the pages completed and in a nice little stack.
The cover materials are in the very same stack, waiting for the creation of a collage.

Just sitting there waiting on me,
the creator,
to create.

Staring at me, taunting me (in a challenging way) every time that I walk into my studio.

Why have I waited to start (or finish) this project that I (so obviously) want to create?


I think (part of) it could be that I fear my romanticized idea of the book will not match the book that I actually create.

The book is so beautiful in my mind but I may not be able to match it in reality.

Do you ever feel that way?

I think that a lot of artists do.

And I feel that the answer to that fear is to get into the studio and create.
And keep creating and making until I am satisfied with the end result.

Right?

With that in mind, I did begin the cover this past week.

Of course it is taking on a life of its own...
A lot of "what if I do this?" "Or what about that?"
or "Hey, wouldn't this be great!?"

Most importantly, I have started.

What do you have in your studio or your life that you want to create (or do) (or see)?

If there a project that pulls at you, then you need to focus your attention on it, allow it to come to fruition.

And I think that right now is a great time to do just that.


4 comments:

Nan G said...

Yes I have one of those projects nagging at me. And plan to use some of my rusty fabric on it. Love the softness of this bit of rusty fabric. I will have to look for other fabrics and trying rusting them. Love rust! Hugs

Anonymous said...

I really hope you finish this book Carol. It will be so beautiful.

Joanne Huffman said...

After a little over two weeks away from my studio, I am anxious to get into my studio, but there are many real life things to get done first (just got back last night, have to read mail, listen to messages, and prepare for Christmas). I love the small picture preview of your rust book.

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

Oh gee did you hit a nerve! Very glad that you have made your start on finishing that book, it's going to be great!